Monday, June 1, 2009

I've Got Some if You Need It.

If you've known me for any length of time, you know that I like Pearl Jam. Ok, so maybe I'm understating that a bit. Some. OK, a lot. A look at my CD collection will confirm that. Through a quick (and rough) estimation just now, I figured out that about 15% of my collection is Pearl Jam, be it studio, b-side collections, concerts, special editions, you name it.

Even with all the changes that occur over the course of a lifetime, they have been a constant in my life for almost 20 years. They were part of the first cd I ever bought was Singles, the soundtrack to the Cameron Crowe movie they had two songs on, and Jeff, Stone and Eddie cameoed in as part of Matt Dillon's band, Citizen Dick. To borrow a phrase from a friend of mine, they are the soundtrack to my life. I can find one of their songs to fit almost every mood, or help me get back into a good frame of mind.

One indication of how big of a fan I am: I can spot the Pearl Jam reference in Almost Famous, and I know that Mike McCready played the lead guitar parts for Stillwater in the movie as well. How do I know that you ask? Well, you know what, just ask me and I will tell you.

I salivate at even the thought of new material, and I have since I heard they were making a follow-up to Ten. It was called Vs., and sold over a million copies in the first week, maybe you heard of it. Since I heard they were recording a new album I've been waiting (I'd say patiently, but I would lying) to hear the songs. I found out recently that I will get the chance on The Tonight Show.

I have to hand it to Conan O'Brian, he certainly set the bar high, as far as musical guests go, having Pearl Jam as his first musical guest. Even more so, considering they don't do much in the way of network TV, or even TV performances for that matter (and they usually play on Dave).

With the new songs, I will try and be objective, especially since one of my readers pointed out to me "they could sing the ABC's and you would rave." Disclaimer fully in place, here's my thoughts. I also offer the offensive language disclaimer here. Sorry.

Holy Fucking Shit! The song is called "Got Some," but I will go with "Buzzsaw." It was about two and a half minutes of unbridled hell. Also, it's catchy, a word I know I have never used to describe a song by the group EVER. Not that I should be shocked by this, but Mike absolutely shredded the solo in this one. I honestly had to go jump around like a dork for about five minutes outside of where I'm living, so I could calm down enough to write this post in the first place.

If this is any indication, I will be a very happy man come Sept. 20, holding a copy of Backspacer, walking out of Target with a stupid looking, shit eating grin planted all over my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment