Sunday, June 7, 2009

NIN/Jane's Recap

First off, I owe all of my loyal readers an apology. Sorry, but I didn't really feel like posting at 2am Saturday morning. Quite frankly, I just wanted to go to bed. Then yesterday, I crashed at about 8pm. I somehow managed to avoid the crash from the concert till yesterday. Well, better late than never. For the crash and the blog.

Friday night was the Nine Inch Nails/Jane's Addiction concert, which sounds like it should be taking place in 1991, and not 2009. This tour is preceded by the scuttlebutt that it will be Trent Renor's last for a while for whatever reason. I've heard marriage, that's he quitting, you name it, I've likely heard it.

Anyway...

Before the NIN set, the opening act, former Rage Against the Machine guitarist Tom Morello's new project, Street Scene Social Club performed. I was not impressed. First off, someone should tell them you don't have to curse to be entertaining. It seemed as though the amazing guitar work of Tom Morello, which I will admit made the set worth it on its own, was put to waste by crap lyrics. And to be honest, I'm being a bit kind. It doesn't help that the lead singer kept being sure to mention that the group was "more than a band, we're a social club." I don't care if you are the second coming of Christ, if you have amazing guitar work and horrid lyrics to go with it, I'm not going to be impressed, and I wasn't.

Aound 815, I got hammered into the person directly in front of me, and moved about a foot to the left of where I was standing, which was next to my friend Mike who I went to the show with and then slammed into the new person in front of me. Why did this happen you may ask? That would be one of the hazards of being in the pit at a NIN show. I will be honest, I had to look up the setlist before I started writing this. I had an idea of what they played, but the fact that at some point I was more worried about being able to breathe, I just wanted to get my facts straight. Trent played a few covers (Gary Numan, Saul Williams and Adam Ant), and played a lot of material from the last few albums, but also trotted out some of the old reliables from back in the day, namely the pleasant surprises "Heresy" and "Mr. Self Destruct." I was very happy getting slammed into the person in front of me, and belting out the words, all while on a few occasions realizing that I couldn't breathe because I was getting crushed.

That said, I wouldn't trade any of those 90 minutes for anything. My shirt was covered in sweat, and I can say I don't know how much of it was mine.

After the NIN set, there was a small break before Jane's came out. Mike and I took the time to go outside and recover. I had made it through my first experience in the pit. I may go back into the pit, but I don't think I would for a NIN show.

At Trent's request, Jane's Addiction was the headliner. I will admit that I had to be convinced to stay. I really didn't care if I saw them or not. And then, they played the song "Three Days" and I was blown away by the guitar work of both Dave Navarro and Eric Avery. What was even more impressive is that during his playing, Navarro was able to pick out a girl to meet him backstage after the show. Mike and I both saw it happen, although Mike saw the whole thing, I just caught the second half of things. They played for about an hour or so, before walking off stage before the encore, but not before bringing out the old hits such as "Ain't No Right," "Mountain Song," and "Been Caught Stealing." They saved "Jane Says" for the encore.

All in all, the trip back to 1991 was fun. The only thing I would change is no pit.

No comments:

Post a Comment