Friday, May 29, 2009

Does music sound better live?

I decided to write this post after listening to a new CD I just by Davd Gilmour, entitled Live in Gdansk, which is the result of a concert the former Pink Floyd guitarist gave to end his European tour, and honor the anniversary of the Solidarity movement founding in Poland. It is a 2 cd set that mixes both songs Gilmour is famous for from his Floyd days, as well as songs from his most recent solo album, entitled On an Island. My friend Mike, who is the music encyclopedia version of my movie knowledge, made me a copy of that album shortly after its release. (Shamless plug: If you are so inclined and like music, he hosts a radio show entitled Progscape Radio, from 8 to 11, every Tuesday night. You can get more information at http://www.progscaperadio.com/). I enjoyed it, and listened to it a few times in the car, and then to be honest with you, I forgot about it for a while.

That is, until I was listening to the new Gilmour live cd. Incidentally, I was reminded of the performance thanks to a showing of the concert on one of the digital HD cable channels (Thanks, Comcast.). I decided to pick it up the next time I hit the local Best Buy, which I had done earlier this week. I realized how much better the songs sound in concert. I always thought Floyd was a band that is better live. I also sort of went through a bit of a Floyd phase in college (then again, who didn't?), and ended up picking up the live album Pulse as a result. I always liked the 2 cd set for one reason--it had a blinking light, which I could always see reflecting off the walls of my dorm, making me think the smoke detector in the room was on the fritz a few times, but I digress.

The answer is a quick yes, and I offer an example that should come as a shock to approximately NONE of you who know me well. (Please contain your surprise) Pearl Jam is easily one of these groups. I've seen them three times in concert and I think that they are a group that spreads its wings in front of an audience. To be more specific, the wisdom of the addition of organ/keyboardist Boom Gaspar is proved over and over during the course of a live show. I must admit that I had my doubts when they brought him in for the Riot Act album, but then I actually saw him play as part of the band in 2006 in Camden. His playing adds another layer to the music and brings out more of the subtleties in the playing of the other musicians in the group. Furthermore, as a group, they leave it all on the stage over the course of a show, and as a fan, that is all that we can truly ask from a band. My heavy handed bias towards the group aside, they do sound incredible live.

Does this hold true for other groups? Yes, Dave Matthews Band and U2 come to mind as specific examples. Dave and his band seem to spread their wings in a manner similar to Pearl Jam, but have more a free flowing power. Plain and simple, U2 blows your ass away. No other words are necessary. Also, Rush is awesome live. In fact, seeing them live is something I think everyone should do at least once. It does their talent justice to see them play live. I became a convert as a result of seeing them last June.

Some groups do not sound that great live. Jack Johnson, I am looking at you. I think the group running around playing under the name Everclear fits into this category as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment