Wednesday, July 1, 2009

In response to Doug again

In his comment to last night's post, Doug asked me:

"If I were to give Pearl Jam a chance again after 15 years, but had to base a take or leave decision on just one (original) song that was produced after Vitalogy, what song would you suggest?"

I would like to thank my old friend for giving me a question that I have been ruminating on all day to find an answer for.

I must admit that I can't actually come up with just one. I've been trying to think of reasons to eliminate one, the other or both all day, and I can't come up with anything that I can process into a full-on elimination.

That said, here is my answer to question:

It's a tie between to on the most recent album, the last two tracks on the most recent album, the self-titled Pearl Jam, "Come Back" and "Inside Job."

Why?

Both songs involve the writing of Mike McCready, who is credited with the music for the former and music and lyrics for the latter. Why is this important? Mike has never contributed the lyrics to a song, incidentally it's one on which he sings background vocals. So what? Well, for fifteen years up to this point, all he's ever done is contribute music, having done so most notably for "Yellow Ledbetter." Depending how well, you know me and my opinion on Mike, you'll think I am being biased (for those of you who aren't aware, I think the sun and the band rises and sets around his guitar work.)

I will now attempt to refute those claims of bias.

These two songs are what Pearl Jam was, is and is evolving into.

Let me explain the "was" part first. This group has built a reputation on great guitar work, and neither of these songs disappoint, namely through McCready's guitar work. They both feature power in the Eddie Vedder's vocals. If that were to ever to disappear, it would be time to hang it up. Pure and simple. Now to the "is."

Pearl Jam is a band that's been around for almost twenty years, and over the course of time, anyone with half a brain learns things. These guys are no different.

First off, they added a percussionist to the mix, Boom Gaspar. Though only officially a touring member of the band, he represents an evolution in their sound. Be honest, Doug, did you ever think you would hear a piano in a Pearl Jam song back when Ten came out? I know I sure didn't. I also know I didn't like the addition of Boom during Riot Act. I didn't even come around to it for four years, till I saw the at the Tweeter in Camden in 2006. It was then I realized that Boom adds a dimension to the band that they were lacking--emotion. Let me explain. Before Boom, for the most part all a Pearl Jam song really was at its core was Vedder vocals, screaming guitars, and hard charging drums. I love them to death, but they played pretty elementary stuff. Gaspar, and OK, maybe age and maturity brought in emotion. How else can you explain the emotional, gut wrenching pleading coming from Eddie in "Come Back?"

Secondly, the band is much more democratic than used to be. Back in the Vitalogy era, to be frank, it was a bit of a dictatorship, with Eddie running things. Over the years, I think he's realized that he isn't the only one who comes to the table with song ideas. That is where Mike comes in.

I think if someone like him, who is not and has never been very lyrical comes to the table with lyrics that are good enough to get Eddie to lay vocals down for, Pearl Jam is worth your time to take a second look at.

They aren't the band we grew up with in high school and finding ourselves able to identify with for whatever angst-ridden reason. What they've become is a mature rock band who is often imitated, but never duplicated.

They are still relevant, influential, and worth your time. They are punk, rock, slow, fast, ballad, disciple and leader. They are solo artists, side projects and a group that plays every show like they are trying to win you over for the first time all over again. They are the girl who is your first love, your serious girlfriend or your spouse: You may fight, and leave, but you will and you always should come back.

So, please, Doug, they'll be here. Come back. Come back.

1 comment:

  1. Just shelled out my $1.98 to Amazon. I'll give them serious consideration and report back.

    ReplyDelete