Monday, July 6, 2009

Did Devastator Really Need Testicles?: My Review of Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen

As we all know, Michael Bay has taken his last movie, 2007's Transformers and more or less decided "I can make it awesomer! More explosions! More robots! More Megan Fox! It will be the most awesome movie ever!" Sadly, I am pretty sure this is the way Michael Bay sounds.

So, did he make it awesomer? Yes. And. No.

What is awesome about this movie is that most of the original cast is back, Megan Fox included. An added bonus is one Isabel Lucas, the blond chasing Sam in the beginning of the film. Without completely spoiling things, I can't really say much more.

A more "bad ass" Optimus is a welcome addition. I guess the darker Dark Knight of last summer inspired the team of Orci and Krutzman (normally they write for this little show called Lost, maybe you've heard of it) to write a more Optimal Prime.

More Megan Fox, running in slow motion. Don't think of me as a pig, I'm just a guy.

All the jokes I make about Michael Bay aside, I was glad they brought him back to direct the second movie. I think when you keep using the same director over and over in a series, you make it consistent, if nothing else. The scattershot Bond offerings of the mid 80's show what kind of bad movies you can make when you keep changing directors.

What did I not like about the movie?

Can someone explain to me why Devastator need to have a pair of what looked like testicles hanging down from the robogenital region. And another thing, while he was at it, couldn't he have...

sucked up those two annoying robot twins? Really, they were a bit annoying, and didn't really add much value to the movie You know they are unpopular when the writers of the movie won't even claim them as their idea.

Also, why did Sam and Mikaela need a plucky sidekick? I think they were doing just fine on their own.

This is I think something only I would notice. Last time I checked the old Bethlehem Steel plant found along the waterfront of that Lehigh Valley city is not Shanghai. Then again, I grew up in the area, so I would notice. My little geographic criticism aside, kudos to the production team for using a vacant factory as a location for a movie. The Steel plant is also where the scene where Megatron threatens to cut Sam open to get the info he needs was filmed at the plant as well.

All in all, for it's major robotic fault, this was not a half bad movie. Take out the two stupid robots, and I actually think it was almost as good as the first.

See this movie, AND waste the $10.50, but not if you're taking a date.

1 comment: