Monday, October 26, 2009

It's been a long time....

since I wrote anything, but you are all the benefactors of the evening's lack of sleep. That said, if the post gets a little punchyy, rambling, or something resembling any of those, you all have my apologies.

Since I have gotten to the movies a few times, I do have some stuff to share. That said, here goes.

A few weeks ago now, I was attend a free screening of a movie entitled Black Dynamite, thanks in part to the Tweeting of my friend Mike. We got into a free showing of the film in Philadelphia sponored in part by a couple of the local radio stations. That said, it should also be mentioned that Mike and I were VERY much in the minority in the theater, if you catch what I mean.

I had actually heard about this movie at the beginning of the year, due to it's wild reception at the Sundance Film Festival. Ok, that and a post about it on a movie website I read entitled "Possibly the Greatest Movie Ever." Call me crazy, but a headline like that will catch your attention most times, and this was no exception.

Was it the greatest movie ever? Yes, it was the best WORST movie I have ever seen. Let me explain. Co-written by its star Michael Jai White and director Scott Sanders, it is a parody of 70's Blaxploation films the two grew up watching. I never thought I would be able to say this about a film, but it goes from good to bad, and circles back around near the end of the film again. This movie succeeds where 2007's Grindhouse fails in that it's a movie that knows it isn't great, but, in the same breath, still doesn't take itself too seriously.

Should you see it? In the words of Black Dynamite "You got that right, you got that right."

A few days later, I saw Zombieland with a friend of mine and his sister. A comedy in the vein of Shaun of the Dead, it follows the adventures of four survivors of a zombie plague as they head for California. The movie's soundtrack, if nothing else, comes with well chosen music. The movie itself is smart inventive, and just the right length at just under 90 minutes. Throw in a well-placed, unexpected and downright hilarious celebrity cameo (sorry, that's really all I can tell you without giving too much away), and you have a funny movie that is well worth your time.

Well, that came out pretty well, and not the least bit punchy.

Maybe now I can get some sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment