Tuesday, October 27, 2009

I'm gonna see my friend before it goes away

Halloween Night marks the end of an era in Philadelphia when the Spectrum turns out the lights one last time after the fourth and final show by Pearl Jam. It marks the end of a building that opened in 1967 and has played host to many a memorable event, be it sports or a concert.

I grew up about 90 minutes from the arena, but I attended a few events there as a teenager, the first of which was a Sixers game with my dad in the mid 1980's. The team was in a downward arc after its 1983 championship run, Dr. J was in the last season of his Hall of Fame career and doing the retirement tour thing. It wasn't a very memorable game (I don't remember who they played to be honest, all I remember is they won). I went to a few more games there before I went away to college, and before the arena became semi-obsolete as a result of the opening of the CoreStates Center (the original name of the Wachovia Center) acrosss the street.

With the opening of the new arena, the Spectrum only became used for Phantoms games and concerts for acts that either weren't big enough for the new arena or were going on when there was a scheduling conflict. I attended a few of those such shows and more of my share of Phantoms games.

I remember Phantoms game in particular against the cross state rival Hershey Bears that I went to in 1997 with some friends from college, and we saw one hell of a brawl at the end. Two players ahad to be put into their teams respective penalty box to be kept from hitting one another, andGene Hart, then the PA announcer for the Phantoms, had to finish reading the penalties given to the 11 players involved before getting to the end of game announcements. Neal Little, Phantoms goalie at the time, was the only player not penalized, as leaving his own goal would have got him a penalty and possibly, under the AHL rules at the time, a suspension.

My point is that the Spectrum may be about to die, but it holds a lot of memories for me, and for everyone else in the Philadelphia area. We all have the same sort of story I do, going to a (insert team here) game with their (insert significant life person here). Or it could be a Globetrotter game, Ice Capades or the Circus, but my point is this: the arena is part of us. For whatever reason, it holds a special place for us, just like the Vet does.

There are those that may say it is a dump, a hole, etc., etc. While that may be true, it's ours.

I'll enjoy being there Saturday night, not only because I get to see my favorite band for the fourth time. I also get to say goodbye to an old friend. Will I cry during the show? Don't know.
If anything, I'll end up shedding a few tears, because it's hard to say goodbye, especially to an old friend.

But, that's just me.

No comments:

Post a Comment