Sunday, May 23, 2010

Goodbye, Lost

Tonight marks the end of the TV show Lost, and with that in mind, I wanted to fire off a quick post about the show.

I'll really miss the show. Sure, I may have spent most of the past five seasons yelling at the television, since admittedly I came a bit late to the game and didn't actually start watching till during the second season. The plot had more twists than a Franklin Township road, and made me yell at the screen more often than not, but that's part of the fun. If you're into a show in that manner, i think it means you've really invested yourself in it, which I think is a sign of a great television show.

The greatness of the show has brought out several great acting performances. Michael Emerson and Terry O'Quinn, if you ask me, have guaranteed their careers will have steady work because of this show. Their scenes together are the TV equivalent of watching Picasso and Chagall painting at the same time. Truly, art in it's highest form. Nestor Carbonell revealed this season that he also has great acting talent in his Emmy nomination worthy performance in the episode in which we learn how he got to the island. The rest of the ensemble, as a result of these actors and their stellar performances bring their A games as well. What does that leave us? Blown away.

I'll miss the story of Sun and Jin, a married couple who prove that true love only grows stronger. Charlie, a man who started out as a totally unlikable character, only to redeem himself and produce a tear-jerking death in Season 3 (btw, multiple hanky worthy). Same goes for Sawyer in the likability department. He started as a con man who evolved from a self-centered individual to someone who would pass up a chance to leave the island, to a sensitive man who is in a loving relationship till his girl dies, all the while maintaining a bit of that bad boy charm that I'm told makes the ladies like him.

How do I want it to end? Don't know. What I do know is that the show is the most intelligent I've ever watched. It's made me go to the Internet to read theories, laugh, cry, scream, run the full gamut of emotions. It's the only show that's ever made me do that, sometimes in the space of a single show.

Perfect illustration of it's intelligence: I'm actually thinking of watching it from the beginning when the final season comes out in August.

And for that, I'll be grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment